Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 Multimedia System subwoofer issue

egorblack

Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 Multimedia System subwoofer issue

Post by egorblack »

The link to the product:
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-I ... IJ95ZM.htm

For everybody with not working subwoofer problem:
I've got those speakers with silent subwoofer, took it apart, pulled out the board, and after some time spended with it, found the problem.
All you need to do to fix the problem is:

1. Unscrew 6 screws holding back panel on the subwoofer
backpanel.jpg
2. Take it out of the subwoofer box(be careful not to brake anything or tear out wires coming from speaker, they are too short).
board-out.jpg
3. Look at the top screw (out of two on the board) in my system it was overtighted at manufacturer. And while shipped, the board was cracked, the copper tracks(for bass level) were damaged.
cracked.jpg
4. You need to clean them and solder together as showed on picture.
soldered.jpg
5. Reassemble everything in reverse, and it will work as it should.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
balatheboss

Re: Creative Inspire T6160 5.1 Multimedia System subwoofer i

Post by balatheboss »

thanks dude
Finally i fix my sub by following ur post, the same happens to my board , but its not by the screw, the edge of my board damaged a bit I soldered it and now I got my sub working :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
egorblack

Post by egorblack »

If you can, please, post a picture of the crack, so it will be easier for others to fix those boards.
roflcopter

Post by roflcopter »

i was so excited to fins a solution to this problem but sadly the cord on mine is so short that i can't even take it out of the subwoofer box :(
egorblack

Post by egorblack »

Just unscrew four screws on the subwoofer speaker, and unsolder wires off of it(better to mark them to solder them back correctly)
That will let you pull out the board completely out of the box.
Just be careful with speaker and do not touch it anywhere except outside metal frame.
Augmedefrem

Yes

Post by Augmedefrem »

+1. this is very interesting
montev

Post by montev »

Just wanted to thank you for posting the problem, pics and solution. I've got the same problem with the same model.
defectivewoofer

Post by defectivewoofer »

hello...I'm sorry but they shouldn't be selling defective woofers, but thank you for the post and the pictures, I might have to do this
doppioca

Post by doppioca »

HI,

This is a follow up, the problem has returned! However, I think the solution is helping a little, since the speaker goes silent/off only for about a minute at most now, where the problem usually lasted up to 5 minutes at most. :(

-doppioca

HI,

Thanks egorblack for posting the solution, I've had the same problem where the speakers will go silent/off for about 5 minutes, then restart after a few minutes. I inspected the board in the subwoofer, however, in my case the board was NOT cracked. But, I think I have another solution. Based on the large heat sink installed on the board, I thought maybe heat-buildup in the subwoofer may be an issue. So, I drilled small holes (small ~20 holes w/ 7/16 drill bit) on top of the subwoofer right where I knew the heat sink was located. To improve air-flow, I also drilled 2 larger (5/32 drill bit) holes in the bottom of the subwoofer. With drilled holes in place, the problem has disappeared for me (at least for the last month, I blast my Pandora music with the creative speaker/subwoofer about 2 hours/day 3 times per week).

Before drilling the holes, I moved the board out of the way as in the previous post to prevent contact with heat sink.
subwooftop_sm.jpg
subwoofbot_redcircle_sm.jpg
Hope this information helps anybody else out there.

-doppioca
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by doppioca on Sat May 18, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
egorblack

Post by egorblack »

I am keeping my room temperature at ~75-78 F, and never had problems like yours, running them for few hours on max volume. But, one of the small speakers does not work well after that... 8-(